BMKG records 3,055 aftershocks in NTT, decay seen in 3-4 weeks
BMKG said the aftershocks are not expected to exceed the main quake and are unlikely to trigger a tsunami soon.
BMKG recorded 3,055 aftershocks in Nusa Tenggara Timur through Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026 at 17.00 WIB, five days after a magnitude 7.7 quake struck Flores. The aftershocks ranged from magnitude 1.1 to 6.2; 88 were felt by residents and 25 measured magnitude 5 or above. BMKG expects the decay phase to last 3-4 weeks, or about 21-30 days. BMKG Geophysics Deputy Nelly Florida Riama said the quakes were concentrated in central to western Flores and were linked to activity in the Flores Back-Arc tectonic zone. BMKG Earthquake and Tsunami Director Wijayanto also said the aftershocks would not be larger than the main quake, so they do not pose a near-term tsunami risk. BNPB previously reported 68 deaths and 213 injuries from the quake.
Sources
Earlier in this story
- 1 hour agoPertamina delivers aid to 1,000 earthquake-hit Manggarai residents
- 4 hours agoGovernment sends 27 tons of supplies to NTT quake zone
- 4 hours agoNTT quake death toll rises to 47, 5,000 displaced in 6 regencies
- 5 hours agoKemenkes builds 2 field hospitals for NTT quake victims
- 5 hours agoPolda Bali and Metro send 17 trucks of aid to NTT quake victims
- 6 hours agoBMKG records 3,055 aftershocks in NTT, decay seen in 3-4 weeksreading now
- 6 hours agoPolda NTT sends 125 officers to Flores after quake
- 7 hours agoTito urges faster tally of damaged schools, houses of worship in NTT
- 9 hours agoGovernment focuses on restoring access, infrastructure after NTT quake
- 14 hours agoQatar, Palestine offer condolences after M7.7 quake in NTT
- 15 hours agoTelkomsat supplies satellite internet to 17 NTT quake sites